Sunday, 21 November 2010

Resolutions

You know how people don't like birthdays because it reminds them that it's a year closer to their deaths? Yeah, I don't think that makes sense. Every single second of your life brings you a second to your deaths, so why aren't you scared all the time?

In all seriousness, though, the birthday, in my opinion, does have some significance. Sure, it's essentially like any other, but I think it's one day where you are obliged to look back at your life and evaluate yourself. Of course, you are welcome to do this whenever, but on your birthday, you have to do it. If anything, it's just to let yourself know where you are and where you want to be in the foreseeable future. So here goes:

Where I am: As of tomorrow, I will be a Year 12 (even the school says so), so it's rather appropriate, what with the new beginnings and all. At home, things aren't too bad - of course, there are the expected rough patches, but who doesn't have those? Academically, I do quite well, but I do know that I can be a whole lot better. I have a great group of friends here and while I have not gotten into an official romantic entanglement, it's not too big of a deal at the moment. While it is by no means perfect, I'm reasonably happy with where I am.

Where I want to be: Seeing that it's the foreseeable future, I shall set it to this time next year. By then, I will have finished Year 12, hopefully with an excellent final mark (after all, I do want that ridiculous scholarship for university). I think I have a good dynamic with my mother at the moment, we spend time together without really intruding on each other and we generally solve disputes quite maturely, so that doesn't need to change. Socially, I want to be a little more confident around other people than I currently am - not to be insanely popular, but I'm a little worried that being shy can hinder me from opportunities, so that is something that needs to be worked on. As for the romantic entanglement, it's definitely not a must, but I'd like to think that I'm currently interested in an amazing girl and it would be brilliant if I could get to know her better. It would be a hell of a bonus. Speaking of bonuses, another: a job. It's a bit of a grey area as far as discussions are concerned, but it will be solved diplomatically.

How to get there:
  •  raise my academic standards - 70's will become unacceptable, 80's questionable, but anything 90+ will still be celebrated.
  • somehow stop procrastinating - sounds like an insurmountable task, but I have motivation to do so: 25-30 grand off a year in university tuition. I NEED to do it.
  • pay more attention in group conversations and pitch in when I have something relevant (and, better yet, amusing) to offer more often.
  • I don't really know what to do here, to be perfectly honest. Stay a good guy and hang around her lots without being creepy and/or clingy, I guess?
  • find a job during the holidays (I have two extra weeks, being a now-Year 12), keep it and stick it out for the first month of school and see what happens.
Obviously, the uppermost two is the one to be worried about the most. And I'll have to somehow keep it from consuming my life. It's going to be incredibly hard, but if they all work out, I know it'll be worth it.

5 comments:

  1. A....job? Somehow, I can't really see you flipping burgers. :D

    Happy birthday, Adi :D I'm glad you had time for this reflection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. really? I thought birthdays were a time to say "GIMMME MOAR PREZENTTZZ." Why must you be so mature about this? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, Adi! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :D This was such a sweet post! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. AHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA "GIMMME MOAR PREZENTTZZ."
    story of my life XD
    I wish I was as mature as you, Adi :P
    Good luck with your goals! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! <3

    And also, good luck on your goals :)

    And good luck with your fantastically amazingness chicka ;) lol

    ReplyDelete